Since 1922, Taylor has been serving the community with library services. In the beginning, access to books was provided by the Wayne County Bookmobile. It would visit Taylor on a regular basis providing books to the residents. Then in 1929, the Taylor Center branch of the Wayne County library opened. Over 20 years later the Taylor Center branch had outgrown the small building it was housed in and needed to expand. So, in 1953 the library moved to a larger building.
Once again, the community outgrew the library space, so the need for books and information was met with the opening of Library 1 on Goddard Road followed by Library 2 at Wick and Mortenview in 1968. In later years the libraries were renamed to Alexander Papp Library and Richard J. Trolley Library to honor the men who were instrumental in their construction.
By 1983, it was evident that the community would be better served by combining the two smaller libraries into one large library. Plans were drafted to meet that need, and in 1985 the new Taylor Community Library was completed. Since that time, the library has continually improved the services it provides to the community and remains one of the top leaders in delivering information access in the downriver community.
In 2015, when the Wayne County Library system permanently closed, Taylor Community Library added Braille and Talking Books services, as an Advisory & Outreach Center of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped. In 2017, the library received the Advisory & Outreach Center of the Year Award.